[fpc-pascal] FileGetAttr fails on TrueCrypt partition

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 20 16:58:29 CEST 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, reynolight wrote:

> Am 20.04.2011 13:47, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>>

>> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, reynolight wrote:
>>
>>> g: is the XP system volume. x: is the truecrypted NTFS partition. No
>>> problem to set / get / show file attributes with Win32 GUI on both
>>> volumes. Same with attrib.exe on console.
>>>
>>> sysutils.FileGetAttr(g:\*) is fine, as well, but FileGetAttr(x:\*)
>>> returns -1 as an error.
>>>
>>> After copying a file from x: to g:, its attributes are - surprise - ok
>>> again. Even bigger surprise: After re-copying from g: to x:,
>>> FileGetAttr(x:\...) delivers the same correct result as on g:
>>
>> FileGetAttr is not supposed to accept wildcards.
>>
>> Michael.
>
> Sorry. Just looks like wildcards here in my post. Of course,
> FileGetAttr('*') doesn't work at all. To be exact with my issue, assume
> a specific file x:\any.any, where x: is a mounted, truecrypted NTFS volume.
>
> FileGetAttr('x:\any.any') returns  -1, i.e. error.
>
> After copying x:\any.any to g:\any.any, FileGetAttr('g:\any.any')
> returns 32, i.e. faArchive.
>
> After copying g:\any.any back to x:\any.any, overwriting the previous
> version, FileGetAttr('x:\any.any') now returns 32, i.e. faArchive as
> well, as it should have been always, since we never modified the attributes.
>
> Trying the same on XP GUI or with attrib.exe on console, I don't see any
> similar issues.

Well,

This is the implementation of FileGetAttr:

Function FileGetAttr (Const FileName : String) : Longint;
begin
   Result:=GetFileAttributes(PChar(FileName));
end;

As you can see, the function returns the result of the GetFileAttributes Win32 API call.
Why this call returns -1 is something that we cannot speculate on.
Most likely seems an error in the filesystem driver.

Michael.