[fpc-pascal] Widestring Questions

Tobias Giesen tobias_subscriber at tgtools.com
Tue Oct 26 21:28:43 CEST 2010

Hello,

I have been making tests all day long and I do not have any conclusive
results. I fixed a small memory leak in my code too. This leak may have
misled me to believe that the compiler has a leak. However after all the
efforts, the application still uses more and more memory while it is
doing its processing.

Upon exit, the memory does seem to be freed correctly now according to
heaptrc. But MacOS stops giving memory to the app after a while and
then it quits.

Could it be that the memory manager has been changed since FPC 2.2 and
is now more susceptible to heap fragmentation?

Could there be any allocations that bypass heaptrc?

The app is allocating hundreds of Megabytes of memory over time and I
still don't know how it is happening.

I can't believe that I have made zero progress in two days. Wow.
Haven't had such an extreme experience in a while. Well except for
trying to install Linux on my MacBook Pro 13 inch ;=)

Cheers,
Tobias