[fpc-pascal] negative numbers in CurrHeapUsed and MaxHeapUsed

Bernd Kreuss prof7bit at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 22 21:20:50 CEST 2010

Does anybody know what has become of this:
http://free-pascal-general.1045716.n5.nabble.com/TFPCHeapStatus-miscalculations-in-2-3-1-td2824362.html

I am currently experiencing the same problem. The only thing my Program
does on the heap are ansistring manipulations, concatenating strings to
new strings and discarding intermediate results. The total amount used
by my strings should not grow they should be all discarded after
processing, they are all only temporarily used in local variables inside
procedures.

CurrHeapUsed starts around 4000 and then after a few hours slowly
shrinks(!) until it eventually becomes negative (not always, there is
some randomness in my data and the amount of strings that are processed,
sometimes I have to wait longer). MaxHeapUsed starts with 16576 and then
suddenly drops to -16.

This all happens with FPC 2.5.1, snapshot from a few days ago.

Is this a known problem and nothing to worry about or am I asking for
trouble if I ignore this?

Bernd