[fpc-pascal] Re: Can variables be declared within a block?

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Fri Oct 22 08:54:32 CEST 2010

> This argument can be used to promote each and every change, no matter how
obscure it is.
> But you forget that you may be forced to read code from other people in
> which case you are
> suddenly confronted with such weird constructs. Then it does not help that
> you had guidelines
> for your own code. I fail to see this as a relevant argument.

Agreed. I'm currently working on a PHP project which is coded badly, no
separation between logic and presentation, no database query abstraction,
many html tags embedded as PHP strings, etc. This is an example of a
language that have good coding guidelines (a framework that I use follows it
nicely) but allows bad coding style.

OTOH, almost all Pascal based projects/units/libraries I downloaded from
internet are coded in almost the same good style, maybe some different
indentation, but that could be easily remedied with Lazarus' JCF code
formatting feature. Even though the author is not an advanced Pascal
programmer.

So, putting this as a part of language spec is indeed necessary and a
correct decision.