[fpc-pascal] Detecting what is the linux distro

ik idokan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 09:54:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:30, Henry Vermaak <henry.vermaak at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 11 October 2010 19:51, ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks all for the answers.
> >
> > It's sad to see that there is no specific way to get this information on
> all
> > distro's but at least I can get it on the most used distros out there.
>
> Just curious, why would you like to detect this?

You want to know how to install files for daemons, append information in
other existed packages etc... But instead of creating 1000% packages types
for each distro, you can for example know  that Gentoo and ArchLinux uses
/etc/rc.d/ for init deamons.
You know that Debian, CentOS, RedHat and few others uses /etc/init.d/ etc...

BTW I had a program that created in my ArchLinux /etc/init.d/ and placed it
there, while i was the wrong location.

> Henry

Ido

LINESIP websites: