[fpc-pascal] GetTempFileName in Linux

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 7 17:29:43 CEST 2010

Am 07.10.2010 14:41, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
> Well, in schools the administrator is a teacher (usually maths or so) who
> gets the additional job of managing the schools' IT structure. And all our
> clients are schools.

Schools are indeed a bit special... sometimes you have to be lucky if
the teacher knows what an update is (even the "administrator" one)! (I
know of such an example at one of my step mother's schools...)

>>> I'm not making this up, it's just real life.
>>
>> That's the problem :(
>>

>>> I am aware of the theory and the good practices, but in a commercial
>>> environment, different rules enter the game. I just haven't found a
>>> satisfying solution yet :-)
>>
>> Perhaps the correct solution would be to create a user group that's
>> named e.g. "Michael's software users" and this group is granted write
>> permission to your software's main directory. Now every user who uses
>> your software is added to the group and voila! (that would even work
>> on *nix systems)
>
> Since that are usually all users of the PC, this amounts to giving all
> users
> write permission to the app directory, which is what the admins do now :-)

Well... it's easier to kick someone out of the "Michael's software
users" group than of the "Everyone" group :P (but at least the kids
aren't admin users... that's something ^^)

> Anyway, just to say that 'norms' are nice, but practice is another story.
>
> I'll see about a more 'safe' gettempfilename() which is what the discussion
> was all about in the first place.

We had a different topic?! I didn't notice that... *cough* (I'll be
quiet now ^^)

Regards,
Sven