[fpc-pascal] Using LLVM with FPC

Adriaan van Os fpc at microbizz.nl
Tue Oct 5 15:49:40 CEST 2010

leledumbo wrote:
> Since no one seems to be interested on this in Lazarus forum, I duplicate it
> here:
>
> I'm not talking about generating LLVM IR code as FPC backend, instead I'd
> like to use it as normal library. Though it's written in C++, it has C
> interface, so I think it's possible. It's just, the header has a lot of
> macros and I hope somebody has already done the conversion (I don't want to
> waste time duplicating other's work). Does anybody has an info about it?

Using LLVM libraries may look attractive, but the big disadvantage is that you are talking about a
moving target. It will require maintainance (and probably a lot) with every release of LLVM. Also,
as far as I know, the C interface is incomplete.

I believe that producing LLVM assembly is the best solution in the long run.

Regards,

Adriaan van Os