[fpc-pascal] More Win CE

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 17 09:54:55 CET 2010

Am 16.11.2010 23:07, schrieb Max Vlasov:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com
> <mailto:pascaldragon at googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
>     At least not on unhacked devices, cause they only allow .NET
>     applications (more precise: Silverlight and XNA applications). One
>     of those decisions that I can not (and want not) understand...
>

> Sven, although I understand what you're talking about, I think this is a
> case when MS partially learned from their own mistakes as well as from
> google success. As long as I remember, even first Windows CE binaries
> could be created for several processors architecures, while the main
> competitor, Palm, only to a single (Motorola). The latter was a real
> benefit for general user. Managed code (if I understand this concept
> correctly) would allow exsting multiply process architectures
> transparent to the developer. Imagine x86 architecture would finally
> overcome power-saving issues and be the winner over ARM (unlikely, but
> just imagine), who would not suffer? Andorid and Windows Phone, and who
> would have hard times? iOS and Symbian
>
> Although, on the other side, if your writing native, you will invest in
> something more solid. Motorola processor is gone, but the c code for
> example of my reader for PalmOS is open source and anyone can change it
> at least leaving some code from the past. Knowing the MS attitute toward
> backward compatibility in general, invest or not invest in .Net and
> Silverlight is a big question.

For me Windows Mobile is THE free mobile OS on the market. I can write
applications in any language I want (which supports Windows Mobile...),
I can play around in the OS as I want it. I can basically do anything
with that Phone that is mine as I see necessary.
That's why I dislike Apple, cause they basically think the phone still
belongs to them, and that's why I dislike Android, because I'm forced to
use Java if I want to produce real applications.
And now comes Windows Phone 7 and destroys this dream mobile OS of mine.
Thank you Microsoft.

I hope that some hardware vendors decide to continue developing Windows
Mobile 6.5.x phones... until then I'll enjoy every free bit of my HTC
Wizard.

Regards,
Sven