[fpc-pascal] More Win CE

Max Vlasov max.vlasov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 23:07:20 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com>wrote:

> At least not on unhacked devices, cause they only allow .NET applications
> (more precise: Silverlight and XNA applications). One of those decisions
> that I can not (and want not) understand...

Sven, although I understand what you're talking about, I think this is a
case when MS partially learned from their own mistakes as well as from
google success. As long as I remember, even first Windows CE binaries could
be created for several processors architecures, while the main competitor,
Palm, only to a single (Motorola). The latter was a real benefit for general
user. Managed code (if I understand this concept correctly) would allow
exsting multiply process architectures transparent to the developer. Imagine
x86 architecture would finally overcome power-saving issues and be the
winner over ARM (unlikely, but just imagine), who would not suffer? Andorid
and Windows Phone, and who would have hard times? iOS and Symbian

Although, on the other side, if your writing native, you will invest in
something more solid. Motorola processor is gone, but the c code for example
of my reader for PalmOS is open source and anyone can change it at least
leaving some code from the past. Knowing the MS attitute toward backward
compatibility in general, invest or not invest in .Net and Silverlight is a
big question.

Max Vlasov