[fpc-pascal] Working Free Pascal android JNI example

Reimar Grabowski reimgrab at web.de
Sat Nov 6 20:46:18 CET 2010

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:39:53 +0100
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you try making executables for Android? It is possible to run
> native executables from Java.
It is not my code but I know a bit about Android.
I don't know of any way running native executables from Java on this platform. It is definitly not officially supported.
You can run native FPC progs on Android devices via the development tools circumventing the official way to install software. You can start this progs from your pc but not from the device itself. Since you cannot distribute this kind of software via official channels (market and the like) it is not of much use. Also I don't really know how to interact with these kinds of programs or how to run a GUI.

> That would be somewhat better then running the code from a .so
True, but as it is not supported there is no better way than to run your code from a lib. At least it is native then and you get the performance improvements.
To my knowledge it is currently the best way to use FPC on Android. You must remember that Android apps are not really complete programs (as you know them) but some special Java classes that are run from an 'app manager'. You don't have the kind of control you know from conventional programs.

hih
R.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.