[fpc-pascal] XPCOM and freepascal

Johannes Nohl johannes.nohl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:45:56 CET 2010

>> I wonder if it's possible to develop extensions (aka Add-Ons) for
>> Firefox (or in my case Thunderbird). I'm totaly unfamiliar to the
>> stuff right now. But the advantage I could think of is 1) I don't know
>> C++ and 2) it is easy to cross compile code for different platforms.
>>
>> Writing extensions without javascript needs XPCOM bindings. I saw that
>> there're some for using the gecko rendering engine in Firefox. Is
>> there a more general thing to access XPCOM? Anybody has experience
>> with this? I'm a total C++ noob.
>>

> Try looking at the gecko integration package. It is meant to do the opposite
> (integrating gecko in your app) but it also uses
> xpcom, and you should get ideas from that.

Thanks Michael, I already found that. You may find there the
relationship between XPCOM C++ bindings for Gecko and how to use them
in fpc app. In my case i'm interested to access the adressbook in
Thunderbird. Even if I would get along to find the right functions I
have no idea how to process returned data. I guess you have to be a
very good C++ developer for that as well. But that's ways over my
skills, I think.

Thanks for your help.

Johannes