[fpc-pascal] The new book: "WEB and database programming with fpc and Lazarus for newbies and professionals"

Burkhard Carstens fpc at bcsoft.de
Thu Jun 17 21:58:54 CEST 2010

Am Mittwoch, 16. Juni 2010 23:01 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Burkhard Carstens wrote:
> > .. anybody knows where I can buy it? ;-)
> > After spending hours on www.w3c.org and www.w3schools.com,
> > extjs.com (now sencha.com) and jquery.com reading a lot about html,
> > dhtml, javascript and checking out some docs and examples about
> > extjs and jquery, I got the feeling that all these pieces could
> > form a nice picture .. just I still couldn't see it.
> > Then I found this artice and now all of the sudden, everything
> > makes a lot more sense:
> > http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/wa-ajaxintro1.html
> >
> > Guess, it might be good to start from ground up (now that I found
> > ground):
> > Make some nice html files with some JavaScript functions, which
> > just "call" my cgi via XmlHTTPRequest to insert something into the
> > DB or return some results or tiny html snippets.
>
> This is exactly how I am programming web with FPC.
>
> FPC is used for the server. You'll see all components I use in
> fcl-web/src. The client is programmed completely in ExtJS. The FPC
> components have been built so they can work with any Javascript
> framework, but ExtJS has been worked out best - simply because I use
> it. Currently there are 3 important areas I am working in:
> - SOAP calls using WST. fpweb can be used to route and handle SOAP
> transport for WST. The code has been donated to WST.
> - serving data to a (currently extjs) datastore in Javascript.
>    (see fcl-web/src/webdata)
> - 'simple' JSON-RPC programming: JSON-RPC versions 1 and 2 are
> supported. As an extra, I especially made sure that the Ext.Direct
> variant is well supported.  (see fcl-web/jsonrpc) I'm still working
> on a Ext.Direct wrapper around WST.

I already inhaled the WST chapter in Lazarus boork. Still need to read
up on SOAP and JSON.

What about ExtJS being GPL licensed? Got a developer license?

> Joost uses jQuery and some Javascript components built around it. I'm
> sure that with his help, the ExtJS components can be modified to
> support jquerygrid and whatnot.

Here you refere to the ExtJS components of fpweb, right? IOW. if those
are (or will be) universal, they should get renamed? (see, you are in
that stuff, so for you, all this is clear. for a newbie (at least for
me), it's still all confusing .. so having clear and distinct names
would help.. e.g. if it's about the fpWeb components for use with ExtJS
JavaScript Framework, they should be called fpExtJS components ..)

> 4 areas are open for work:
> 1. File cache mechanism in fcl-web.
> 2. a kind of intraweb/extpascal/unigui framework.
>     I have the basic plans ready. Lazarus has the IDE support for it.
>     (joost uses it in his webdesign package)
> 3. IIS module support.
> 4. Translation of Pascal to Javascript. The basics for this are in
> the FCL: fcl-passrc and fcl-js. What is needed is conversion of one
> syntax tree to another. Not very hard, but tedious and a lot of work.
>
> I hope this makes sense and gives you some ideas of the directions
> you can take. If there is any area you might want to work on, let me
> know, I'm willing to help.

Yes, thanks! It does make more and more sense. Unfortunately, my
customers are not (yet) interested in web apps, so it's just a hobby
right now. Therefore it will take some time before I gain ground in
this.

regards
 Burkhard