[fpc-pascal] WriteComponent not outputting a hierarchy of components?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 22:16:22 CEST 2010

On 3 June 2010 20:38, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> Because Borland decided otherwise.
>
> Actually, there is a good reason: some components create internal components
> they own, and which they don't want to have streamed.
> The 'GetChildren' allows you to control what gets streamed and what not.

Well, isn't that what the 'stored' specifier could be used for too, to
know if a property should be stored or not. It just looks like a
rather odd implementation (broken by default) for something that is so
easily accomplished with a recursive procedure. All the required
functionality (ComponentCount, Components[]) is already in place.

> In LCL the owner is always the form. Otherwise the form variables
> would not work.

I know that, and the same think applies to VCL. But again, I don't see
why Borland had to do that. Like fpGUI proves, it's not even required
to have Owner and Parent. fpGUI can easily remove Parent and just use
Owner and work perfectly. At the moment in fpGUI, Parent is just for
convenience to VCL/LCL developers - it's just an alias for Owner.

  - Graeme -