[fpc-pascal] For-in support in the next FPC release

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Wed Jun 2 15:08:52 CEST 2010

On 02 Jun 2010, at 14:57, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-06-02 14:48, Jonas Maebe het geskryf:
>>
>> Yes (at least other people reported bugs about it on fpc-devel).
>
> If I remember correctly, those discussions were only while it was
> implemented. No real-world usage afterwards.

Most features only get extensive real-world usage once they appear in
a released version.

>> There was a discussion about it on core. It was merged because
>> a) the merge occurred shortly after the previous release, so there
>> was
>> a lot of time to test its effect on the fixes branch
>
> Just because it's in Trunk or Fixes branch, doesn't mean it's
> actually used
> and thus tested. From this message thread, not many even knew it was
> implemented. Hence my concern about it moving so quickly into Fixes
> branch.

Hence points b) and c) in my original mail. There are two separate
things:
1) does it endanger the stability of existing code? Answer: unlikely
in this case (and this is the most important question for the fixes
branch).
2) is the feature itself stable? Answer: uncertain, although Paul did
add a lot of tests to the testsuite, other people also tested it, I
reviewed most of the code for it (and Florian possibly a well), and in
general features often experience some growing pains when they are
first released because of the reason mentioned above.

Jonas