[fpc-pascal] Re: Ideas for namespace implementation

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jul 25 23:30:20 CEST 2010

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 25 July 2010 19:16, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>
>> What unit name conflicts ? In 15 years that I work with Delphi and FPC, and
>> I have use many many packages, I encountered exactly 1 conflict:
>
> Then you are extremely lucky. I have experience stacks of unit name
> conflicts in my years of programming. Have you never had the urge to
> use the unit name: constants.pas? utils.pas?

No. Because I don't see the difference between having to type

uses
   wisa.utils;

versus

uses wisautils;

The latter is even shorter. So I really don't see the gain.

The discussion is not about namespaces. Object Pascal HAS namespaces,
namely units. The discussion is about 'enhancing' the namespace to allow
one or more dots in the name.

That said, I don't really care whether the . ends up in the compiler or not,
but I do think it is much ado about nothing. Yes, it may be nice to have,
but no, it is not urgent and not the end of the world if we don't do it.

Unicode strings is orders of magnitude more important.

Michael.