[fpc-pascal] How choose units names?

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Thu Jul 22 19:33:25 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 July 2010 14:03, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>
>> The Pascal programmers has dislike "_" character, maybe just for
>> constants, I think.
>
> I have been told that by a few, but I really don't know why they
> dislike it. I've gotten used to it rather quickly and use it more
> often now, even for small tests apps. eg: In fpGUI there is no extra
> "object" file for UI Forms - fpGUI only uses a single .pas file (no
> extensions like *.lfm or *.xfm or *.frm) , so I prefix a unit that
> contains a Form declaration with 'frm_'. This works great for me.

Sounds good for me.

>> Yes, work for them... but the namespaces is very large in Java or C#.
>> I like use, some times, the syntax: unit.function.
>
> The more I think about it, the more I think Java had a good idea with
> directories as part of the namespace as well. This allows you to
> create code based on your companies domain name - and will not clash
> with others. Sometimes I with Object Pascal had something like that
> too.

Exactly.

We do not have directories as part of the namespace... but and if we
could "rename" the units with an "nickname" to conflicts not happen?
Look here one idea
http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-devel/2010-July/020699.html

MD