[fpc-pascal] Module or Plugin or similar howto implement?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 12:24:08 CEST 2010

Eduardo wrote:

> I was thinking about it, passing data and parameter types to generic
> modules.
> a) I can force to have all modules the same input/output entry
> point parameters.
> b) I can force to register the entry point parameters from data pool
> (which data the module need from all data the app has)
>
> The first is easier and moves complexity to module developer, the
> second is easier and more flexible to module developer but more complex
> to me, perhaps using SOAP like config.

You need one, guaranteed, entry point per module which returns the
version. If you could organise it such that each module is in its own
subversion branch (?) but that the interface definitions were stored
separately then you might have something usable, /but/ it would rely
entirely on strict adherence to coding conventions rather than being
enforced by the compiler and runtimes.

I suspect that the "right" way of doing this would be to use CORBA or
similar, but I don't know (a) how arduous setting up the IDL description
would be and (b) whether that would invariably open sockets etc. even if
it were intended to be a local interface.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk