[fpc-pascal] Module or Plugin or similar howto implement?

Eduardo emorras at xroff.net
Wed Jul 21 11:56:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:21:01 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

> Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:13:15 +0200
> > Eduardo <emorras at xroff.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm developing an app and need to extend its functionality via
> >> external modules or plugins. Currently i'm trying to do it using
> >> dll/so but don't know if there are better methods to do implement
> >> it.
> >
> > I don't know if there are better methods, but I can say that the
> > dll/so approach works quite well. At least it did for our project.
> > It was written in C++ but I think it will work with pascal as well,
> > if not better due to superior language. :)
>
> It works, and a dll/so can be dressed up quite nicely as an object.
> The weakness is the lack of embedded description of the parameters
> etc. of each entry point.

I was thinking about it, passing data and parameter types to generic
modules.
a) I can force to have all modules the same input/output entry
point parameters.
b) I can force to register the entry point parameters from data pool
(which data the module need from all data the app has)

The first is easier and moves complexity to module developer, the
second is easier and more flexible to module developer but more complex
to me, perhaps using SOAP like config.

Still thinking in how to do it...

Thanks to all