[fpc-pascal] Search Engine friendly CGI web apps and pages

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 16:54:04 CEST 2010

On 13 July 2010 16:23, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> Well, to make things more complicated, newer apache servers allow to disable
> PATH_INFO passing to CGI scripts alltogether. I guess it is to protect
> against search engines flooding the CGI scripts. Exactly the opposite of
> what you want to achieve :-)

I always seem to follow the path with most resistance. :-)
Luckily I control the web server setup here.

While we are on the topic of CGI and Apache. Any idea how to tell
Apache that a specific file is a CGI program, even though that file
has no file extension like the obvious .cgi suffix? This is not to
serious - I think Google accepts URLs with a '.' (dot) in the path.
eg:  http://www.mydoman.com/mmaths/project1.cgi/myparam

More searching on Google revealed one forum post mentioning this...but
the author wasn't sure if it works. I couldn't get it to work. :-(

'project1' is my CGI application.

<Files project1>
   AddHandler cgi-script
</Files>