[fpc-pascal] Search Engine friendly CGI web apps and pages

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Jul 13 16:23:32 CEST 2010

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Op 2010-07-13 15:21, Michael Van Canneyt het geskryf:
>>
>> When using cgi or FastCGI, the PATHINFO environment variable contains the
>> /myaction part - in fact, it contains whatever the server finds after the
>> path to the CGI app.
>
> Thanks Michael.
>
> I tried what you suggested but ran into a problem - that environment
> variable doesn't exist here. I Googled it and I found a website that
> mentions PATH_INFO environment variable instead. That worked. Thanks for
> the info

It was a typo, my mistake. The fp-web property is PathInfo :/

> BTW:
> Just so others know, if you call the CGI app directly without any
> parameters, PATH_INFO is not set as an environment variable. Just another
> little web gotcha! :)

Well, to make things more complicated, newer apache servers allow to disable
PATH_INFO passing to CGI scripts alltogether. I guess it is to protect
against search engines flooding the CGI scripts. Exactly the opposite of
what you want to achieve :-)

Michael.