[fpc-pascal] methods of an object to create others objects

José Mejuto joshyfun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:35:41 CEST 2010

Hello FPC-Pascal,

AB> Martin, I didn't get to the end of your email because I find that
AB> first major part - part and parcel of why Delphi failed as a language.
AB>  It became unviable because exception handling and blow-outs. Which
AB> in turn were caused by sloppy ideologies such as the standing notion
AB> here... Which is to let the blow-out occur and move on.  Garbage
AB> collection was the solution to this problem.

It's impossible to write a dogma about exceptions, some must be
handled, some could or could not be handled. Expected exceptions like
a conversion string to number should be handled and processed in that
way to recover from them (they are recoverable).

If an exception is recoverable (program state can be passed from
unestable to stable again) it should be handled and processed. If the
handling does not garantee the stability the best option is to save
the information that can be safelly stored or processed and terminate
the process as soon as possible. It's not a matter of ideology, is a
matter of stability. Unexpected exceptions should terminate the
program as soon as possible with trying to save as much as possible.
Even in some processes an unexpected exception should revert the
program to the previous stable state (if possible) and discard all
information in memory to avoid the possibility of corrupted
information.

--
Best regards,
 José