[fpc-pascal] xmlrpc unit

ik idokan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 09:44:54 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:33, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>  Op 2010-06-30 18:00, Jonas Maebe het geskryf:
>>

>>> * Deprecated in favour of fcl-web and WST
>>>

>> In all fairness, deprecated normally means it is "marked" as deprecated at
>> least for one release *before* it gets deleted.  If I was ik, I'd be
>> pretty
>> pissed off working on a project that might be released in a week or two.
>> Already tried and tested and passed QA, and then suddenly need to switch
>> an unfamiliar technology that has not passed our QA yet.  Just my 2c
>> worth.
>>

> True, but given that the examples didn't compile since many, many years,
> I'd
> say that the probability that xmlrpc passed the QA in a company was very
> remote
> indeed. That was why we decided to remove it alltogether at once.

Actually I have a code in PHP that does XMLRPC and a new CentOS installation
crashes PHP without any given reason (glib error on an existed code that
works on other servers), and I prefer to use something stable and fast
rather then something that is not, because I do not have a lot of time to
make things work properly (the life of freelancing).

I remembered that FPC have an XMLRPC generator that allow me to just focus
at the task I require, and wanted to use it, but the generator could not be
compiled because of the missing unit.

I still do not understand (at all) how fpWeb works, and all the examples
works with JSON only (I wish I could use it, but the spec files of my client
uses XML-RPC), and even Lazarus is unable to properly work with it (some
files are missing even after adding fpWeb package to Lazarus), so it does
not help much :(

For now I'll add another JVM running and make it a server (because I can do
it very quickly) but when I'll have more time to learn fpWeb I would really
want to move away from Java + PHP in this cases to FPC in my client
production servers.

> And since the code was not being maintained anyway, he could just have kept
> the
> latest copy of it: so no harm done.
>
> Michael.

Ido