[fpc-pascal] Hardware information: Linux and Windows

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 11:57:56 CET 2010

Osvaldo Filho wrote:
> How do I get information about the hardware in Linux and Windows?
> - Identification of the processor: model, manufacturer, serial number

That depends very much on the type of the processor, i.e. whether it's
x86, ARM and so on. On x86 the info is available from processor
registers, on Linux you can use /proc/cpuinfo (noting that the format of
this depends on processor type and the whim of the kernel developers).

> - Identification of Hard Disk: model, manufacturer, physical serial number

With difficulty on Linux. I see that somebody has suggested dmesg|grep
but that won't be reliable if something's trickling messages into the
kernel buffer that eventually flush out the boot stuff.

> - Identification of Memory: model, manufacturer, size, type

In general depends on the chipset. To get this info reliably you need to
access the serial bus that runs to each DIMM to get its parameters, and
then you need to know how to decode them.

> - Identification of Motherboard: model, manufacturer

With extreme difficulty. On Linux there might possibly be info in
/proc/acpi, /proc/openprom etc. but again it depends very much on the
architecture, kernel version and so on. A good place to start is looking
at lspci or /proc/bus/pci, you should find that most models of computer
have a distinct arrangement of devices and with modest expenditure of
effort you should be able to characterise each one :-)

Again, there's a whole lot of stuff that you can get by parsing dmesg
output on Linux. However that's basically debugging info from the kernel
as it starts and if it's not also presented in /proc, /sys or /dev then
it might only be available for a limited time.

Sorry I can't say more about Windows, Solaris, or the other OSes that
FPC supports.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk