[fpc-pascal] Hardware information: Linux and Windows

Frank Peelo f26p at eircom.net
Tue Jan 19 15:21:49 CET 2010

On 19/01/2010 13:09, Osvaldo Filho wrote:
> How do I get information about the hardware in Linux and Windows?
> - Identification of the processor: model, manufacturer, serial number

Reading /proc/cpuinfo will give you the model and manufacturer. Don't
know how to get the serial number. Was that not a controversial feature
that was added by Intel and then removed because people complained?

> - Identification of Hard Disk: model, manufacturer, physical serial number

Parsing the output of
hdparm -i /dev/hda
might get you something useful, if your hard drive is /dev/hda. You'd
have to be root, though. And hdparm might not be installed. But I'm sure
Google can point you at its source code.

> - Identification of Memory: model, manufacturer, size, type

/proc/meminfo should give you the size.

> - Identification of Motherboard: model, manufacturer

Don't know.

Looking forward to someone more knowledgable giving better info :)

FP