[fpc-pascal] Re: creating a standalone executable (eg: applicationinstallation file)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 08:36:11 CET 2010

Paul Nicholls wrote:

> http://www.franzone.com/2008/08/14/how-to-create-a-bash-install-script/

Thanks Paul. I guess the author of that website didn't know about Makeself,
which automates the exact same procedure he does manually.

Either way, that seems to be the popular way of distributing applications
in a distro independent manner.

The installer I'm working on will probably start as a script, unpack itself
and then figure out if it should run the Console setup or the GUI setup -
depending if X11 is available and running. This will also allow me to pick
the correct setup for the architecture (32bit or 64bit install, *BSD or
Linux binary etc).

So far my GUI setup is looking pretty neat and is completely configurable
at runtime using a setup.xml file. Later I'll create a "install builder"
which will generate that setup.xml file for the user/developer.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/