[fpc-pascal] creating a standalone executable (eg: application installation file)

Krishna v.krishnakumar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:22:48 CET 2010

Hi Graeme,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have seen a few Linux application that have standalone executables
> that are installation programs. Once run, it installs the application
> in the appropriate directory location, can run as root or normal user
> and creates a desktop and Application menu icon. Similar to Windows's
> setup.exe idea. An example of such a Linux application is
> 'installpixel32' from the Pixel32 project, or Kylix 3 installation.
>
> * How does one create such a standalone application?
> * How do you include the application executable and other resources
> (text, image, sound files etc) inside such an installation executable?

InstallerJammer is a nice free install builder for building
cross-platform installers from a single specification. If you are
willing to shell money then I'd recommend BitRock install builder.
BitRock also gives away licenses for opensource projects.

Cheers,
  --Krishna

--
I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty
to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble !