[fpc-pascal] creating a standalone executable (eg: application installation file)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 16:41:54 CET 2010

On 12/01/2010, ik <idokan at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's not how it's been done in Linux (and unix).
> In linux you have files that starts as bash (or any other format) and tools
> that adds after the script the binary information to extract it.

I believe the tool is called 'makeself', but I don't like the bash
part in the front, I would prefer a 100% binary, so nobody would be
tempted to try and edit it with a text editor. 100% binary would help
the idea of simply double clicking on the executable to install the
app - otherwise Gnome (and probably other DE and WM too) would prompt
the user first: "Run in Terminal, Edit, Cancel" because they think
it's a standard script.

  - Graeme -