[fpc-pascal] creating a standalone executable (eg: application installation file)

Andreas Schneider aksdb at gmx.de
Tue Jan 12 13:59:39 CET 2010

Hi,

that works the same as in Windows and can probably be done with every
executable format. Simply append the data to the end of the file and store the
offset or length of that data at the end. All you have to do then is to let
the program open "itself" (ParamStr(0)), seek to the end - SizeOf(Integer),
read that integer to know the offset of the data, seek to that position, and
read all you need from there. So essentially your file looks like:

(Of course you can also include the data offset "hardcoded" into the
executable, but that's a bit harder to manage ... first compile to know the
exe size, then change the constant storing that size, and recompile again ...)

Best regards,
Andreas.