[fpc-pascal] [OT] which editor - emacs?

Ingemar Ragnemalm ingemar at ragnemalm.se
Sun Jan 10 20:33:58 CET 2010

Hans-Peter Suter <gchappi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm on a mac and use TextMate currently. As it doesn't jump between
> declaration and implementation and ist mac-only, I am looking for a
> replacement.
>
> Is Emacs a good choice? Does it work well with FPC?

I don't quite understand the question.

Why is "Mac only" a problem? I use whatever is available on the platform
I am on. Under Linux, I usually use Gedit. Well, except that I avoid
plain text editors for development since I consider them inefficient.

Emacs is good if you don't care for consistency between applications at
all. It can do anything but nothing is easy with it. It has old commands
from the TTY days that are different from everything else.

How should "jump between declaration and implementation" work? That
sounds like the kind of functionality that requires the program to parse
the file contents a lot, which rules out any editor that doesn't have an
explicit Pascal mode that is FPC compatible.

/Ingemar