[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.4.0 released

Doug Chamberlin dougchamberlin at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 2 21:56:36 CET 2010

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Juha Manninen wrote:
>> I also looked at FPC page and wiki page and there are no instructions for
>> installation! How is it possible?
>> The only link for FPC installation is buried under Lazarus
>> documentation (!) :
>>  http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/buildfaq.pdf
>> which is even too detailed as the wiki page mentions.
>
> I guess you didn't read the documentation then.
>
> It is published on the website:
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/user/user.html
>
> Chapter 2 is all about installing.
>
> In particular, section 2.2.1 says something about installing in a
> directory containing spaces in its name:
>
> http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/user/usersu3.html

Two things:
1) Yes, the Users Guide has installation instructions in Chapter 2.
However, it warns only to not install the software into directories that
contain embedded spaces. It does NOT warn about untarring the tarballs
into such directories. It should.

2) Having the installation instructions in the Users Guide is
appropriate for software that is distributed via CD or DVD. You can
browse the files directly and pull off the PDF and read it before doing
anything else.

For downloaded software there should be instructions in the very first
download about where to find detailed installation instructions. Better
yet, they should just be right there in front of you when you need them.

Furthermore, if the installation instructions are to be kept in the
Users Guide, right on the download page should be a note to download
that first and read Chapter 2 before proceeding.

--
Doug C.
-----