[fpc-pascal] Free Pascal 2.4.0 released

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Jan 2 12:08:24 CET 2010

On 02 Jan 2010, at 12:00, Juha Manninen wrote:

> I also looked at FPC page and wiki page and there are no instructions for
> installation! How is it possible?

The readme.txt that's normally included with every FPC installation package does include installation instructions for most platforms. The fact that it's apparently not included in the Linux tarball is a bug.

> Why can't there be a README.TXT file at SVN root directory saying it?

It's not that there can't be such a file, it's just that nobody has written one. Feel free to submit one!

In general, the actual repository used for building FPC releases is the fpcbuild repository (http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcbuild/trunk/; it incorporates the regular fpc repository via an "external" reference). That one does contain an INSTALL and README file in the install subdirectory (although they are somewhat outdated in some respects, e.g., the INSTALL one still refers to cvs), which describes how to create an installer for several (but not all, although Linux is included) platforms and which also lists a number of options that can be used when building/installing via the makefile.

Jonas