[fpc-pascal] Pointers

Frank Peelo f26p at eircom.net
Thu Feb 11 17:36:04 CET 2010

So you're allowed add an integer to an untyped pointer?!

Wow!

Usually if you add 1 to a pointer of type t, then sizeof(t) gets added
to the value of the pointer. So if p points at an array of byte, p+1
would point at the next element of the array, 1 byte after p. But if p
points at an array of LongInt, then the next element is 4 bytes on from
p, so adding 1 to p increases p by 4. So what would sizeof(pointer^) be?

To me, adding an integer to an untyped pointer feels undefined (i.e. I
haven't studied the spec for it but I wouldn't have expected the
compiler to do anything sensible with it) because what pointer points to
is undefined and sizeof(something undefined) is not defined. So I
haven't tried that myself.

 From your code, I'm guessing that adding 1 to an untyped pointer adds 1
to the address. So ppp + http.header_anz would be http.header_anz bytes
after ppp.

But http.pdata + http.header_anz means to add http.header_anz to a
variable of type pointer to tchararr. That means, imagine http.pdata is
pointing to an array[0..lots] of tcharrarr, find the address of element
http.header_anz of that array. Now, tcharrarr is 1000 bytes long, so I
would expect http.pdata + http.header_anz to be 1000*http.header_anz
bytes after http.pdata.

Is that what you are seeing?

FP