[fpc-pascal] Working Free Pascal android JNI example

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 12:31:06 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Matt Emson <memson.lists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Well, no. As Android targets any processor - not just ARM. Indeed, there are
> Intel based versions.

I've never seen one and I've already worked with maybe 50 different
Android smartphones / tablets.

x86-Android is negletible. I bet that it has less then 0.1% of the
Android devices market share.

> Native is bad

your opinion. I disagree.

> Would it not be a better solution to create a Dalvik back-end?

1> This would be a huge, very hard task. Who will do it? I don't have
the resources (time / money) to do it. If you have, I'm all for it
that you do it! Good luck!

2> There are no guarantees that Dalvik's bytecode will remain
compatible in the future. Google is being sued over Dalvik and might
even decide to drop it completely as far as we know. If that happens,
you just lost all your work.

3> Existing FPC applications would need to be modified to work in this
FPC port. Think about pointers for example.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho