[fpc-pascal] How to set a type as a variable?

Frank Church vfclists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 01:05:35 CEST 2010

I did this kind of thing some time ago, but have forgotten the details.

Let us say you have something like TBaseType(Variable).Method, you want to
let TBaseType be a variable so you can have some code like this.

procedure (value:someType)
var
  variableType: TClass; //not quite sure here
  variableType := TypeOf(value);

then further on you execute something like

variableType(Variable).Method, rather than TBaseType(Variable).Method
because you can't hard code TBaseType because can't tell what it will be at
runtime. I remember doing something like that with Delphi of old, probably
Delphi 3 or Delphi 7

Can someone help me with this, with some use cases as well?

Thanks

--
Frank Church