[fpc-pascal] OFF TOPIC - how I can migrate of Delphi to FPC

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Sun Aug 15 18:27:16 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Andreas Schneider <aksdb at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:59:10 -0300, Marcos Douglas <md at delfire.net> wrote:
>> Zeoslib uses ADO too. So, it could be used with MS SQLServer.
>> I think Zeoslib is more faster than ODBC.
>
> That depends on the platforms you want to target. AFAIK ADO is
> Windows-only, so you bind yourself to Microsoft platforms. If you intend to
> use *nix too, ODBC is the safer way to go, thanks to unixodbc (which can
> use FreeTDS, a free implementation of the Sybase protocol as used by Sybase
> and SQL Server). If you have the necessary time at hand, you can maybe
> implement your own backend for SQLDB/ZEOS that directly uses FreeTDS,
> completely skipping ODBC/ADO and still being platform independent.

I have a big app, implemented in Delphi 7. The DBMS is MS SQLServer.
Well, we want to develop a few modules to browser and a few using
multi-tier (because some modules should be a Desktop app by having to
communicate with some peripheral).
To this app, the server would be Windows. The modules from Desktop
too. But, in the future, I want to use Linux too.

New apps, I can use PostgreSQL so, no problems with drive connections.

I never use ODBC/FreeTDS on Linux. This is stable? All resources have
been implemented like SP's, multi-SQL in the same instruction, etc?

Thanks,
Marcos Douglas