[fpc-pascal] deprecated syntax is inconsistent.

Matt Emson memson.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:51:44 CEST 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 29 April 2010 14:51, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> Having a bigger lookahead makes a lot more things far more complex
>> epecially in combination with include files, macros, generics.
>>

> Why?  You only apply the extra lookaheads where needed (code that
> could be ambiguous). All other parts of the code will be parsed as
> normal - as it is done now.
>
> So far I know of only two examples where extra lookaheads need to be used.
>   * wiki example where 'default' is used
>   * my example to fix the inconsistent syntax for hint directives (deprecated).

Let's be honest here - maybe you should submit a patch? It might get
accepted if it passes testing. If you're not willing or able to do so,
it doesn't sound like the key FPC developers are going to do the changes
for you ;-) It's a really, really small and insignificant syntax
annonoly. There are far worse ones in Pascal - I point you towards
"repeat... until" in The TP/Delphi/Borland style Pascal dialects.