[fpc-pascal] Unicode characters in source code

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Apr 21 11:22:04 CEST 2010

On Wed, April 21, 2010 10:47, ik wrote:

Hi,

>> If I want to use Unicode characters in my source code, but without
>> actually
>> typing in the Unicode character - I rather want to define it similar to
>> ASCII chars or Hex values:
>>  eg:  Char(65)    or   'test'+#65+'me'
>>      or similar to what hex values are defined with a dollar prefix: $30
>>
>> Any idea how I can do this? I don't want to mess with the -Fcutf8
>> compiler
>> parameter if I can avoid it. I also want the ability of the source code
 .
 .

What do you mean by "messing with the -Fcutf8 parameter"? If you include
some character constants outside the us-ascii set, you should always tell
the compiler how to evaluate them, because the evaluation depends on the
used encoding; especially if you intend to use those for Unicode specific
types (characters or strings). The only alternative not requiring the
compiler to evaluate the constants using certain encoding would be
something like using the internally expected format and putting the values
there directly as sequence of bytes using e.g. an absolute construct
mapped to the same memory area, but that is probably neither efficient nor
very wise considering necessity to rely on compiler internals...

Tomas