[fpc-pascal] Reference Counting

Werner Van Belle werner at yellowcouch.org
Mon Apr 5 08:05:05 CEST 2010

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>   Test:=nil;
>>

> This causes a memory leak - you did not actually free the class
> instance. You need to call:  Test.Free;

Of course I didn't call free; I was hoping that the reference counter
would solve that little problem. If I need to free stuff myself, I don't
really need a reference counter. In any case, thanks for the answer. I
will give it a try and see what it gives
>>   Pest:=nil;
>>

> Pest was just a reference pointer to the first instance, so no need to
> free it. But setting it to nil after Test was freed is a good habit.

I'm not sure that is correct. Once you free Test, Pest still points to
the same non existing object and you can use assigned to check it,

--
http://werner.yellowcouch.org/