[fpc-pascal] Re: More memory leaks and other problems: request for review of probably stupid mistake

Jim hakkie42 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 15:07:49 CEST 2010

On 31-3-2010 20:47, Flávio Etrusco wrote:
>> If you still want to use records, before the Dispose(APResultRecord)
>> set the ansistring fields to '', this will garantee that the reference
>> is freed.
>>

> Or call Finalize() on them.
>
> Flávio

Dear José & Flávio,

Thanks for the tips; I"ve taken José's advice and replaced the records
with objects. This does make things easier as long as you think
object-oriented; I was suffering from exhaustion and a deja-vu with
QuickBasic record structures ;)

I have to test the code a bit more to see if it falls over on large
filesystems and if it works on OSX (and possibly Maemo/Nokia N900 -
hmmm, would have to have a cross compiler setup for that ;).

After that, it's off to the databases: storing the results into a
Firebird database at first. I'll probably start with prepared SQL
statements; later I might look into tiOPF.

Then (by Christmas ;) probably a Lazarus GUI for searching through the
results, running scans etc.

The code is on

http://bitbucket.org/jb/flocate/

Comments are welcome - I'm still learning so there must be tons of things I could have done better - but thanks to the list it's at least working!

Regards,

jb