[fpc-pascal] Meaning of "^M^J"

Ralf A. Quint FreeDOS at gmx.net
Wed Sep 30 06:24:09 CEST 2009

At 08:48 PM 9/29/2009, yu ping wrote:
>I read a source file,found it writes "^M^J" to a output.
>I don't know what is it's meaning,
>after test,I think it should be a return char,
>my question is, where can i find defination of this?

It's simply the byte sequence 0Dh, 0Ah (or 0x0d, 0x0a of C
aficionados, "Carriage Return"-"Line Feed") which is the end-of-line
sequence for CP/M,DOS/Windows since the early '70s, and in contrast
to Unix/Linux, which uses only a 0Ah, while at least the older Mac OS
was using only a 0Dh to mark the end of a line in a text file...

Ralf