[fpc-pascal] The names of the various FPC documentation

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Tue Sep 8 10:12:19 CEST 2009

On Mon, September 7, 2009 13:39, David W Noon wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 12:12:42 +0200 (CEST), Michael Van Canneyt wrote
> about Re: [fpc-pascal] The names of the various FPC documentation:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>>
>> > Such an "old" file-system limitation does not apply in newer OS
>> > versions anymore. I must say, old habits die hard! :) I often find
>> > myself naming eBooks, TV series or music with underscores instead
>> > of spaces. But lately I started using actual spaces in such file
>> > names as well. It simply makes them look prettier in my file
>> > manager tool.
>>
>> I almost exclusively use the command-line, and a lot of shell
>> scripts, and in that case quotes and spaces are a pain.
>
> Indeed, quotes (") and apostrophes (') are a particular pain, as most
> shells use them as meta-characters for wrapping arguments to programs.
> They need to be escaped or wrapped, so that the shell ignores them and
> passes them through to the underlying application program -- in this
> case a PDF reader.

Well, decent OSes allow distinguishing filenames from titles in GUI, don't
they? ;-)

I personally prefer keeping the short names at least in SVN. For the
distribution, renaming the files during installation (or creation of the
installation package as already done by Jonas) may be reasonable options,
IMHO. It would be probably useful to maintain a uniform set of long names
(titles) - probably based on those appearing on the cover page.

Tomas