[fpc-pascal] Why has StrToDate() failing under FPC 2.3.1 (64bit)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:03:41 CEST 2009

On 20/10/2009, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> >
>  1. StrToDate uses shortdateformat.
>
>  2. StrToDate DOES NOT use shortdateformat to check the actual format;
>    because it accepts only dates of the form N1/N2/N3
>    - it uses ShortDateFormat ONLY to determine the order of y,m,d
>    - it uses DateSeparator to determine the actual date separator to use
> instead of /

So how come I still can't get this to work... I tried the following
and various other options. Every single attempt gives me a conversion
error. How am I supposed to solve this?

var
  s: string;
  d: TDateTime;
begin
// ShortDateFormat := 'dd/mm/yyyy';
// ShortDateFormat := 'dd/mm/yy';
  ShortDateFormat := 'd/m/y';
  DateSeparator := '/';
//  s := '03/06/04 12:45:15:000';
  s := '03/06/2004 12:45:15:000';
  d := StrToDate(s);

end.

>  You make a common assumption, which is mistaken:
>  StrToDate(DateToStr(date)) generally does not work.
>
>  Michael.

  - Graeme -