[fpc-pascal] TUN/TAP

Jorge Aldo G. de F. Junior jagfj80 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 06:59:58 CEST 2009

Can anyone help me decypher the following code :

int tun_alloc(char *dev)
  {
      struct ifreq ifr;
      int fd, err;

      if( (fd = open("/dev/net/tun", O_RDWR)) < 0 )
         return tun_alloc_old(dev);

      memset(&ifr, 0, sizeof(ifr));

      /* Flags: IFF_TUN   - TUN device (no Ethernet headers)
       *        IFF_TAP   - TAP device
       *
       *        IFF_NO_PI - Do not provide packet information
       */
      ifr.ifr_flags = IFF_TUN;
      if( *dev )
         strncpy(ifr.ifr_name, dev, IFNAMSIZ);

      if( (err = ioctl(fd, TUNSETIFF, (void *) &ifr)) < 0 ){
         close(fd);
         return err;
      }
      strcpy(dev, ifr.ifr_name);
      return fd;
  }

This is an example code found in TUN/TAP documentation. I need to do some
network diagnosing programs and i plan to use Freepascal to do the job.

Opening the TUN/TAP (/dev/net/tun) without the ioctl call is not doing the
job, but i dont know how to do this with pascal equivalent code...

Thanks in advance and sorry for any inconvenience...