[fpc-pascal] readonly variables

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 29 18:10:13 CET 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Anthony Walter wrote:

> Jonas,
>
> Thank you. I certainly will make an attempt to tone down a few of my
> remarks which I admit were inflammatory. I assure everyone here
> though, my purpose in conversing on these lists is to help improve
> FPC, so far by discussing easy to resolve and reproduce technical
> points. I personally find it quite irksome to when someone repeatedly
> interrupts a discussion by injecting false information. Especially so
> when they continue despite being presented with easily verified facts.
> My poor manners put aside for the moment, if someone states ~this is
> nowhere in documentation~ and is then fact checked showing the
> opposite, I expect to hear back from him with an "oh yes, you are
> correct. the documentation does contain that information".

If we're dealing with verifiable facts, let us look at my mail. I quote:

I believe that. I know it is so in practice, but nowhere it says in the
Pascal language specification that this is guaranteed by the compiler.

The FPC (or Delphi) documentation is not the same as the Pascal Language
specificiation.

The Pascal language specification is an ISO document, freely available.
I was referring to the latter.

In fact, the Pascal language specs explicitly state that the initial
state of a variable is undefined unless an initial value is specified;
I just re-checked that, please see http://standardpascal.org/iso10206.pdf
(be warned, it is not easy reading...)

So next time, before you get angry, please reconsider:
There may be some - entirely unintentional - confusion in used terminology.

Michael.