[fpc-pascal] readonly variables

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Nov 29 15:52:20 CET 2009

On 28 Nov 2009, at 23:31, Anthony Walter wrote:

> This second time regarding the current discussion you said: "This is
> not guaranteed in any way." and "nowhere it says in the Pascal
> language specification that this is guaranteed by the compiler"
>
> And I responded with the section, subsection, page number, and direct
> quote contradicting your assertion.

The FPC documentation is not the same as the Pascal language specification, although it is obviously the intention that it does accurately describe FPC's implementation. Just like the code, the documentation can also contain bugs though.

You're right that Michael's first statement was wrong, but do believe me when I say that he is not the kind of person that has a problem with admitting that he's wrong when he is (I personally have a lot more trouble with doing that from time to time, fwiw). I can assure you that he was not making things up when he explained his reasoning, so yes, he probably just forgot that this was written in our docs.

That said, I would like to ask you to be less aggressive. Such a tone is unlikely to result in productive results for anyone.

Jonas
FPC mailing lists admin