[fpc-pascal] Generic type declaration example versus manual.

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Nov 22 18:23:48 CET 2009

On 22 Nov 2009, at 16:10, Anthony Walter wrote:

> n Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>>
>> Generics were developed in parallel in FPC and in Delphi, and both came up with a different syntax.
>> The incompatibility was there from the start, it wasn't created afterwards.
>
> I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, but yes, I assure you I read
> your replies.  I say this because you are repeating the same logic  as
> if I hadn't heard it before.

No, I was replying to specifically this statement of yours:

> It would be a real shame to create more Delphi incompatibilities.

I agree with you that creating more Delphi compatibilities is generally bad, but I was trying to explain that in fact nobody is creating more Delphi incompatibilities here (unlike what the above suggests). It is just as frustrating for me to read statements like the above that wrongly suggest that someone is working on implementing a feature in a Delphi-incompatible way, as it is to you to read the explanation that it is not our fault that things already are incompatible (and in this case: not Borland/CodeGear/Embarcadero's fault either).

Jonas