[fpc-pascal] How to solve "variable does not seem to be initialized" compiler hint.

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Thu Nov 19 08:52:41 CET 2009

Florian Klaempfl wrote:

> If hints are really important, they would be warnings.

And working with a uninitialized data structure is a good thing? I think
not. So, like everybody else, I manually initialise my data structures -
and because of my efforts to write safer code, the compiler gives me a
hint "variable does not seem to be initialized". The exact opposite of
what I was trying to do. So that hint is useless, after I really did fix
the potential problem in code. The problem is simply FillChar that uses
the wrong parameter type - var instead of out.

And now Jonas says the problem cannot be fixed simply because of the
select few developers working on Windows+COM projects. The the problem
must now be accepted by all because of a VERY specific use-case. That
doesn't sound very "cross platform" to me??

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/