[fpc-pascal] How to solve "variable does not seem to be initialized" compiler hint.

Fantomas fantomaspda at yandex.com
Tue Nov 17 20:47:59 CET 2009

>> In my humble opinion, there are no problems with the FillChar declaration.
>> But the way you wrote your _absolutely correct_ code produced a hint. You
>> shold use $HINTS OFF, for amendment to the FillChar declaration seems to be
>> done unlikely.

> But there is a reason for the hints. It should point you to possible problems
> (or optimitations). When switching it off, you also loose all other hints.
> That's not a solution, it's a workaround.

As far as I know $HINTS is a local directive. So, you can circumscribe only a
certain piece of your code. E.g:

{$HINTS OFF}
FillChar(Temp,SizeOf(Temp),0);
{$HINTS ON}

You may consider my point to be a bit conservative, but I really do not think
there is something to change about the FillChar declaration.

--
Best regards,
Fantomas