[fpc-pascal] x86.pp and oldlinux.pp

"Vinzent Höfler" JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Wed Nov 4 21:20:05 CET 2009

Von: Holger Bruns <holger.bruns at gmx.net>:

> If I intend
> to use device drivers, I need to know how to access the ports of a
> device, which means in my case to a serial port based on the 16550D
> Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmiter with FIFOs.

No.

> I need to read
> and write every register of that UART as explained in the National
> Semiconductor databook, register by register, address by address.

No.

> No
> information on that topic seems to be available, but a whole bunch of
> useless idle talk and advertisement.

As others already told you: You do not listen.

> Hence I cannot use /dev/ttySx for accessing serial devices.

You can. "cat /dev/zero > /dev/ttySx" already writes a bunch of zeros to the device.

> The only way to use serial ports successfully to me, is to use the unit
> serial on fpc, if I choose fpc to deal with serial ports.

fpc does *not* deal with serial ports neither. It deals with the operating system's interface for teletype style devices, often called serial devices. And that is what *you* should do, too. Do not bother with port addresses or transmit registers. That's the job of the respective device driver.

> Under the bottom line, it is embarrassing time consuming for a newbie
> like me, to work successfully with serial ports on linux.

It is embarassing for a lot of people that you hang onto your misconception about serial devices. You still talk port addresses and register whilst you should just use the operating system's (file style) interface. And there were more than one single person trying to tell you.

> On a mailing list, I can only read and write. ;-)

I doubt it. You sure sound write-only...

Vinzent.