[fpc-pascal] Access to RS232 ports with fpc

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:57:32 CET 2009

2009/11/3 Holger Bruns <holger.bruns at gmx.net>:
> in trouble with it. Secondly, it appears to be necessary to use the fpc
> compiler as "root", not simply as a user, I guess.

You need permissions to access any files on linux.  Device nodes are
files, too.  This is what it looks like on debian:

hcv at technical09:~/source/linux/linux-2.6$ ls -l /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 64 2009-11-03 13:27 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 65 2009-11-03 13:27 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 66 2009-11-03 13:27 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 4, 67 2009-11-03 13:27 /dev/ttyS3

This means that I need to be part of the dialout group (or root) to be
able to read/write to these files.  You can see the group information
in /etc/group.

Henry